Helpful Documents

Friday, January 30, 2009

And I thought they were playing so well...

That's what I get for posting "25 random things about me" on Facebook.

It gave sweet little Josie time to join the ranks. She has been initiated now, she has been accepted as a full member of her sisters' little "make mommy crazy" club.

It began when Jonah ran into my room feigning shock, "mommy, you have to see this!" In the most dramatic voice she could muster. My skin crawls when she uses this phrase. If Jonah is pretending to be offended by something, it has to be bad. "The bathroom is a swimming pool!"

No. No, no, no.

So I get up as quickly, yet as slowly as I can. Knowing that the longer it takes to get there, the longer I can put off my complete mental breakdown. "What happened?" I ask as if I did not know the answer. Images of Josie with a damp shirt and hair flash through my mind. Her with no pants on and me asking if she went pee-pee. It's all coming together now. She went potty. She tried to wash her hands. She plugged the sink and left the water on. I squeak out the question as if I'm moving in slow motion, "did you at least turn the water off?"

She nods. Jonah has saved me from at least another gallon of water.

I approach the bathroom to find slightly bubbly water on the floor, my eyes move up, the sink is flooded over onto the counter and water is running onto the floor. Now, I know it is hard to see here, but the water on the floor was 1/2 inch deep.


Of course, Jonah is in "I-didn't-screw-up-I'll-score-points-by-helping-fix-it" mode. So she grabs one of my good white bath towels...the really nice expensive ones I don't even offer to guests. She throws it on the floor. I sigh, grumble some nasty things and yell "everyone OUT!"


Cleanup goes well. The carpet in the hall was soaked so I headed across the house to get more towels and come upon this:



I guess Josie saw the chaos on the other end of the house and decided to grab the TP and run. I hope it was fun.

I rolled that back up, carried more towels to sop the carpet and realized Josie was MIA again. I did notice the two tubes of pink toothpaste in the living room and sighed at my now beige and pink polka-dot carpet.

I finally found Josie behind my bed. With the drawer to Jason's nightstand open and an empty bottle of Astroglide in her hand. There was a puddle of it on the floor. All Josie had to say for herself was "yucky." It was the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Yet, still, I had to laugh. I love these crazy children. I thanked God for reminding me how much I love them, for better or worse. Who would have guessed that it would take a 19 month old on a destruction spree to snap me out of my funk today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little afraid to ask, but what is Astroglide (it was in the infamous nightstand)?

I'm glad something made you laugh! Ashlie

Lisa said...

You don't want to know. And yes, it was in THAT nightstand. The one with the snakes...

Sarah said...

*giggle giggle*

jonahbonah said...

been there, done that with the bathroom....only it was MY fault!!!! Hubs was not pleased....in fact, we had only lived here for 2 months maybe...and I had already ripped the garage door out of the house...what more could I do????

Astroglide, huh??? LOL Silly girl!